Friday, February 8, 2008

Offended

I did something today that I don't think I've ever done before. I offended a homeless person. Geez.

I approached a man outside of Target, because he is a man that I have seen nearly daily for the past 3 or so years. He walks around south Huntsville. He is homeless, or at least appears to be so. One New Year's Day, Jamie and I drove past him while it was sleeting outside. The poor man looked absolutely frozen, but he was still out walking. It was then that decided that one day I would help him. I didn't know when, because it's kind of hard to stop in the middle of a busy road to talk to him. So, today while I was in Target with my son, I saw this man purchasing a small bag of chips and bottled water. Once I checked out and went outside, I saw him standing near the door eating his chips. I loaded up my son and my bag, and then drove over near where he was standing. I approached him and tried to be friendly by saying something like, "hello, sir, I have noticed you walking around town sometimes". I offered him a few dollars to get something more than a bag of chips. He looked at me and said (in a slightly offended way), "I have plenty of money, but thank you". I said "have a good day!" and got back in my car to leave.

I'm not taking it personally that he didn't want my help. Maybe he does have plenty of money and I've had a misperception about him. But, I'm just figuring today wasn't my day to bless him, and maybe I just approached him in a way which he didn't appreciate. That's okay, just a first for me! So, I'll just do a kind act to someone else today! But, it just goes to show how easy it is to offend someone, even when we have good intentions.

No comments: